In February of 1993 the Ferrari 348 Spider was launched at
Rodeo Drive in los Angeles. This was the first two-seater
convertible since the Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona, the
production run of which had finished back in 1973.
From the very beginning the Ferrari 348 Spider
turned out to be a huge success and was well
accepted by Ferrari enthusiasts all over the world.
Ferrari's design team, Pininfarina, had arguably created the
most beautiful convertible of the '90's. The top was manually
lowered which involved releasing a catch in the middle of the
header, moving the top only half way back, then lowering a
handbrake-like lever situated next to the driver's seat.
However, the original 95 litre fuel tank had to be replaced with
a smaller 88 litre version in order to create more space for
the roof mechanism.
The introduction of the Spider model signified the highest
standard yet for theFerrari 348 serie. The engine had been
uprated to 320 bhp for Euro cars (US cars had less, due to
regulations in the US) an improvment over the 300 bhp produced
by earlier TB and TS versions. The Spider also boasted a new
exhaust system, revised valve springs, timing belt and finaldrive
ratios plus Bosch's improved Motronic 2.7 engine management,
as used on early versions of the 348. Aesthetically the 348
Spider has also been given a face lift, the side skirts now
being color coded. By the time the 348 Spider ceased
production, in April 1995, a total of 1146 models had
rolled out from the factory in Maranello.